'); document.write('
'); } else { document.write(''); document.write(''); document.write('
'); }

Navigate the Bureaucracy

Problem Solution
Plan on renovating your co-op or condo? NYC Buildings Department likely will have to sign off first Find out what you need to do to comply, but if you’re smart you’ll let your architect handle the details.
Do your renovations involve tinkering with history? NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission provides information and guidelines, and if it turns out you need a permit you can download forms from the site.
Have a complaint about lack of heat or hot water, or want to know if you can share your apartment with a roommate or keep a pet? Dial 311 to complain to the Department of Housing Preservation and Development or renters and owners can log on for answer to these and other questions, though many of the relevant laws don’t apply to protect condo owners.
Got a problem with smells from the hamburger joint downstairs or noise from your neighbors blasting boom box or barking dog? Dial 311 to complain to the Department of Environmental Protection, and for more info log on.
Want to know if your building paid its real estate taxes, and how they’re calculated, or if you’re a condo owner how much you owe individually? Department of Finance will tell you more than you want to know, but you need to know the property’s block and lot numbers.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Tumblr
  • Digg
  • Blogplay
  • del.icio.us
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • email